Friday 17 August 2012

It's not the camera

It has taken me some time to understand a few things about photography, things that I had long since forgotten about cameras.  I have been doing this for a very long time and back in the day of film and cameras it was still about having the latest in technology.  With digital and the constant upgrading of cameras by Canon and Nikon, and well the rest of the makers, haing a camera for more than a couple of years is a strange thing.  I used some of my film cameras for 10-12 years without any problems, shutters didn't fail, there was no software or messages popping up telling me that I had an error, the only error would have been what I didn't do right, and I wouldn't find that out until I saw the film.

I have always had the opportunities of using the best gear, and with great help from my dad over the years it was always possible.  With the changes to my career, and the changes in clients, the money to upgrade to the top of the line gear just won't be happening.  I recently bought an entry level digital camera, a small Canon T2i, I have great Canon glass to use with it.  I have to say that I was somewhat embarassed being seen with this camera, it wasn't what a professional should be using, but what I learned was that, I was producing great images with this camera, it is still better than the high end film cameras that I used to use.  It is better than the high end digital cameras of four years ago.

The point to all this, I know how to use a camera, it doesn't chnage the fact that I can still produce great images with this camera, what it does prove is that regardless of what others may think, I really don't care anymore.  I'm the brains behind the camera, not the other way around.

No comments:

Post a Comment